19th Century

The 19th Century was characterized by the integration of asylums in order to treat the mentally ill.  Public and private asylums were popular in both the United States and in Europe.  The most famous is the York Retreat created by Quakers at the very end of the 1700s in England.  Asylums were extremely beneficial to the community, but only if they were run accordingly.  Once overcrowding began, asylums developed a negative connotation and no longer represented the great place they once were for healing (Whitaker, 2009).

The New York State Asylum for the Insane

The definition of insanity was also broadened in the 19th century; it came to include those in the family who were unable to help the family in terms of survival and drained their family’s money and resources, the aged, the epileptic, and the imbecilic.  Because of this new definition, asylums soon became crowded with the influx of people whose families could not afford to take care of them, but had no real mental illness (Dickinson, 1990).

Overcrowding

Once asylums became overcrowded, they transformed from a place of recovery and happiness to place of torture and inhumanity.

(Airaysa, 2008)

___________________________________________________________

Airaysa (2008, November 24) Psychology exposed. History of practices in Psychology [Video File]. Retrieved from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjR6xcrD5SM&feature=player_embedded

Dickinson, E. (1990). From madness to mental health: A brief history of psychiatric treatments in the UK from 1800 to the present. The British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 53, 419-424.

Whitaker, R. (2009). Deinstitutionalization and neuroleptics. In Y. O. Alanen, G. dC. Manuel, A. S. Silver, & B. Martindale (Eds.) Psychotherapeutic Approaches to Schizophrenia Psychoses: Past, Present, and Future, (pp. 346-356). New York, NY, US: Routledge/Taylor and Francis Group.

Page created by: Stephanie Lichiello and Alex Zelin

20 Responses to “19th Century”

1. Jamee Pala says:

hi Tnx for you best post Tnx

2. John Smith says:

This is such a great website. please check out our website at https://outdoorman.ca/ thank you and have a great day.

3. Jason Jurich says:

Did you get some of your thoughts from here (similar ideas): https://fullarticle.org/FBIdea

4. Pok Starley says:

Hello! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before but after reading through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m definitely glad I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking back frequently!

5. Marty Juelfs says:

This design is wicked! You most certainly know how to keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Fantastic job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

6. With havin so much content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement? My blog has a lot of exclusive content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my permission. Do you know any methods to help stop content from being stolen? I’d genuinely appreciate it.

7. Hey there! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I genuinely enjoy reading through your blog posts. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same topics? Thanks for your time!

8. Edgar Asby says:

Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any tips for inexperienced blog writers? I’d definitely appreciate it.

9. G says:

I love F** ❤️

10. Donald Dump says:

Build a wall on the Mexican borders so then we won’t have taco people invading precious American soil.

11. geraldcummies123 says:

the comments and people usernames are seriously messed up

12. Deoan says:

wth is wrong with the comments

13. Sophie Hayden says:

I LIKE 19th CENTURY DICK 8==D

14. JARRED REID says:

I LOVE GINO <3 MY DADDY IS THE MEXICAN MAN. HE GIVES ME TACO FLAVOURED CUMMIES
    THANK YOU HAVE A NICE DAY <33<33

15. BIGGAYRUSSIANMAN says:

ELLO OF FROM RUSSIA I LOVE BIG COCK CALL ME MY NUMBER IS *****-*******-***** LOL LOVE ME PLEASE GAY I ILLEGAL HERE

16. ya boy dannyp here take a lean and move on fam, that codeine cowboy waitn 4 u in heavn fam

17. brittnay says:

??? wats up with the comments

18. brittnay says:

umm well hello wats up with these comments thoe

19. so I see well um that’s an issue please die

20. your grandmom says:

my name is grandmom louis. eat a long hairy penis