Modern Treatments

Somatic Therapy

Drug therapy: Includes the use of psychoactive drugs such as antidepressants to treat depression, and anxiety and antipsychotic drugs such as chlorpromazine, haloperidol, and thiothixene used to treat disorders such as schizophrenia.

Electroconvulsive therapy: A treatment that involves the attachment of electrodes to the head of a sedated individual in which a series of electrical shocks are delivered to the brain causing a short-lived seizure to occur. This treatment is most effective for severe depression.

(Porter, Kaplan, & Homeier, 2009)

Pills are a possible treatment for mental illness.

Psychotherapy aka “Talk Therapy”

Supportive psychotherapy: This commonly used therapy is based on the relationship between the patient and the therapist as the therapist helps the patient with problem-solving while encouraging the expression of feelings.

Psychoanalysis: As the oldest form of psychotherapy, psychoanalysis focuses on understanding how past relationships have an influence on one’s present state of mind.

Psychodynamic psychotherapy: Emphasizes the identification of patterns of the unconscious in one’s current thoughts, behaviors, and feelings.

Cognitive therapy: Aimed at helping people to identify distortions in their way of thinking and attempt to understand how these distortions are the cause of their problems.

Behavioral therapy: Is based on the idea that abnormal behaviors are due to a problem with learning. This therapy involves interventions dedicated to helping the individual unlearn certain maladaptive behaviors and replace them with adaptive behaviors.

Interpersonal therapy: Focuses on unresolved grief and nontraditional social role issue. Individuals are taught to improve specific aspects of their relationships with others.

(Porter, Kaplan, & Homeier, 2009)

A therapist talking with a patient.

______________________________________________________________________

Porter, R. S., Kaplan, J. L., & Homeier, B. P. (2009).  The MERCK Manual Home Health Handbook. Whitehouse Station, NJ, US: MERCK Research Laboratories.

Page created by: Stephanie Lichiello and Alex Zelin

4 Responses to “Modern Treatments”

1. Cliff Navone says:

Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you happen to be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back in the future. I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great posts, have a nice holiday weekend!

2. Commo says:

Well, that escalated quickly

3. Mitt says:

hey hannah!
    obama is from africa i is from massachusettes
    you can use my pictyre and put it next to your bed
    i think about all the time hannah
    me and ann want you to vote for me!
    MOROMONS FTW

4. Hannah Muscara-Davies says:

Dear website creators,

My name is Hannah and I am competing in a National history competition and my topic is Deinstitutionalization of the Mentally Ill. I was wondering if it would be alright for me to use some of the photographs that were used in your very informative and helpful website.

Thank You!

Hannah.