Treatment Therapies

Treatment Therapies

• Sakel (1930s): Insulin therapy was used to produce hypoglycemia and deep commas in order to treat diabetes.  The treatment was incredibly expensive and extremely dangerous- so much so that he only had the best nurses working with the patients (Dickinson, 1990; Fay et al., 1955).
  • Dr. Medura: Use of cardiozol (a soluble comphor) in order to treat schizophrenia and epilepsy as he believed that the two illnesses could not co-exist (Dickinson, 1990).
  • Ugo Cerletti (1938): Applied electrodes to the head and administered a shock in order to try and treat patients with schizophrenia in a procedure called electroconvulsive therapy. Later work proved this method to be both safe and highly effective in treating mood disorders and individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia (American Psychiatric Association, 1999). His idea for the treatment originally came from a slaughterhouse (Dickinson, 1990).
  • Electroconvulsive Therapy: One of the most controversial working treatments for mental illnesses.

Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT): Became very popular during WWII.  No one knows why ECT works in treating certain mental illnesses and it is currently one of the most debated cures.  Eventually patients were given short-acting anesthetics in order to relax the body to prepare for the shock (Dickinson, 1990; Fay et al., 1955).

• Lithium has often been used to treat psychotic excitement, and it still used to this date.  However, doctors have to be careful with prescription amount because it becomes poisonous if too much is ingested (Dickinson, 1990).
  • Epinephrine (ephedrine): used to stimulate the sympathetic system, increasing heart rate and raising blood pressure.  Belladonna was used as the antagonist (Fay et al., 1955).
  • Potassium bromide elixir and other solutions including potassium or sodium bromide were used for short periods of sedation.  In order to sedate a patient for longer, phenobarbital was the medication of choice as it was the least harmful (Fay et al., 1955).
  • Hydrotherapy, including: the prolonged neutral bath, Nauheim baths, the neutral wet-sheet pack, the needle spray, the Scotch douche, the slap sheet, and the salt grow, were used because of their impact on the blood-vascular circulation and produced sedation or stimulation depending on the hydrotherapy chosen (Fay et al., 1955).
  • General relaxing therapies: most similar to attending a spa for the day in modern

Day spas are still common today in order to provide complete body relaxation.

times.  These relaxing therapies were not limited to hospitals, but were open to the public in hotels, health clubs, and bath houses.  The patient experienced steam rooms, baths, hot showers, massages, and ultraviolet-ray therapies, finishing with an alcohol rub-down of the body (Fay et al., 1955).

______________________________________________________________

American Psychiatric Association. (1999). Images in psychiatry. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 156, 630.

Dickinson, E. (1990). From madness to mental health: A brief history of psychiatric treatments in the UK from 1800 to the present. The British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 53, 419-424.

Fay, T., Hadden, S. B., Langdon, R. L., Mallin, A. W., Nodine, J. H., Wilson, W. W., Winkelman, N. W., Winlock, R. M. (1955). General treatment measures, psychotherapeutic measures, and the drastic therapies. In D. J. McCarthy & K. M. Corrin (Eds.) Medical Treatment of Mental Disease, (pp. 491-604). Philadelphia, PA, US: J. B. Lippincott Company.

Page created by: Stephanie Lichiello and Alex Zelin

13 Responses to “Treatment Therapies”

1. DreamProxies – Least expensive USA Private Proxies: High level good, Limitless bandwith, 1000 mb/s superspeed, 99,9 uptime, Not step by step IP’s, Very little utilising boundaries, Many different subnets, USA or possibly European countries proxies – Decide to buy At this time – DreamProxies.com

2. Free Stuff says:

Thanks for the ideas you have shared here. In addition, I believe usually there are some factors which will keep your motor insurance premium decrease. One is, to take into account buying vehicles that are from the good set of car insurance providers. Cars that are expensive will be more at risk of being stolen. Aside from that insurance policies are also using the value of your automobile, so the higher priced it is, then higher a premium you pay.

3. Top-notch quality private proxies, Infinite bandwith, 1000 mb/s superspeed, 99,9 uptime, Not for sequential IP’s, Virtually no intake limits, A number of subnets, USA and The eu proxies – Pay for At this moment – DreamProxies.com

4. GuQin says:

I simply couldn’t go away your web site prior to suggesting that I extremely loved the standard info an individual provide on your visitors? Is going to be again continuously to check up on new posts

5. Hairstyles says:

Nice read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch since I found it for him smile Therefore let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch!

6. At this time it seems like WordPress is the preferred blogging platform available right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

7. Please let me know if you’re looking for a article writer for your weblog. You have some really good posts and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d really like to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an e-mail if interested. Thank you!

8. Alvin Fagnan says:

I’m really enjoying the theme/design of your weblog. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility problems? A small number of my blog audience have complained about my site not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome. Do you have any recommendations to help fix this problem?

9. […] [3] Treatment Therapies, Mental Illness, Accessed: 20/03/17, http://mentalillness.umwblogs.org/20th-century/treatment-therapies/ […]

10. joanne says:

I am writing a story about my great grandmother who became ill with senile dementa sometime in the late 1920. She was placed in the Massillon State Asylum in Ohio where she was beaten to death by someone, staff or another patient? I was told that in some cases the only medicine they could use at that time was thyroxine which is for hypothyroidism, how would it have been used on the mentally ill? Thanks, Joanne

11. roberto says:

good to know about ?lithium? am passing the word smile DR