Ancient Egypt

In Ancient Egypt, approximately 6000-5000 BC, mental and physical illness were seen as the same thing. In this time period the heart and mind were translated as one, showing why there was no difference between mental and physical illnesses. The cause of illness, whether physical or mental, was seen as originating from evil spirits/demons or as the wrath of the gods (Keonig, 2000; Mohit, 2001). The Ancient Egyptians also viewed life as a continuous cycle, therefore they focused a lot of their beliefs on life after death. Healing, for these illnesses, was seen as a religious practice and the majority of therapy involved the use of temples and advice from religious deities (Mohit, 2001). Physicans, magicians, and priests all had the same role therefore the treatment of the mentally ill was no different from other illness treatment (Okasha, 2005). Ancient Egyptians had a very Monistic view of medicine, attributing little to the mind and all to the body. The majority of illnesses began with a bodily etiology and were treated physically or with psychotherapy (Okasha, 1999).

Medical knowledge from the Ancient Egyptian time period is drawn from  multiple sources:

• Kahun Papyrus (1900 BC): addresses morbid states attributed to the displacement of the uterus.
  • Ebers’ Papyrus(1600 BC): the world’s oldest medical document.
  • Edwin Smith Papyrus(1600 BC): mainly about surgeries.
  • Hearst Papyrus: similar to Ebers’ Papyrus.
  • Berlin Medical Papyrus (1250 BC): prescriptions in an unsystematic arrangement.
  • London Medical Papyrus(1350 BC): contains enchantments or incantations for diseases (Okasha, 2005).

___________________________________________________________

Keonig, H. G. (2000) Religion and medicine I: Historical background and reasons for separation. International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine, 30, 385-398.

Mohit, A. (2001) Mental health and psychiatry in the middle east: Historical development. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, 7, 336-347.

.Okasha, A. (1999). Mental health in the Middle East: An Egyptian perspective. Pergamon, 19, 917-933.

.Okasha, A. (2005). Mental health in Egypt. Isr J. Psychiatry Related Science, 42, 116-125.

Page created by: Taylor Warner

27 Responses to “Ancient Egypt”

1. DreamProxies.com – 100 these best private proxies with the help of enormous discount rates + Seriously quickly placeholder serrvers!

2. Nelle Viser says:

I think this is one of the most vital information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The website style is perfect, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

3. This is really fascinating, You are a very skilled blogger. I’ve joined your feed and look ahead to in search of extra of your great post. Also, I have shared your website in my social networks!

4. Buy Private proxies: BEST PRIVATE PROXIES – High level level of quality, Unlimited data transfer useage, 1000 mb/s superspeed, 99,9 uptime, No consecutive IP’s, Basically no consumption laws, Multiple subnets, USA or perhaps European countries proxies – Obtain Currently – DreamProxies.com

5. GuQin says:

Thanks for your post. I’d like to write my opinion that the cost of car insurance varies from one insurance policy to another, simply because there are so many different facets which contribute to the overall cost. For example, the model and make of the car will have a massive bearing on the price tag. A reliable ancient family car will have a more economical premium compared to a flashy sports vehicle.

6. Hairstyles says:

Thanks for your article. What I want to say is that when evaluating a good on the internet electronics store, look for a website with full information on key elements such as the level of privacy statement, protection details, any payment procedures, and other terms along with policies. Often take time to investigate the help as well as FAQ areas to get a better idea of how the shop functions, what they can do for you, and ways in which you can make best use of the features.

7. Find latest haircut and hairstyle ideas for men, women, teen, boys, girls, kids, http://www.hairstylesvip.com babies etc to get your own unique style that’ll suit you the best.

8. DreamProxies – Lowest priced USA Private Proxies: Top notch excellent, Infinite data transfer, 1000 mb/s superspeed, 99,9 uptime, Low serial IP’s, Absolutely no ingestion restrictions, Different subnets, USA or perhaps Western world proxies – Obtain Presently – DreamProxies.com

9. Ivy Solesbee says:

DreamProxies.com – Best Private Proxies Designed for Least expensive Fees Truly!

10. Carman Mack says:

Really informative article. thanks!

11. Fascinating blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog stand out. Please let me know where you got your design. Cheers

12. Superb website you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any forums that cover the same topics talked about here? I’d really love to be a part of group where I can get comments from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Many thanks!

13. boyo says:

yo, this is sick fam

14. alex says:

ignoring the strange comments below me, thank you for using this post, i will be citing this in my research project on the treatment of mental illness throughout history. glad to see i am not the only one researching this 😉 vvv

15. angela says:

Thank you for this informative post. I have recently begun research into ancient treatments of mental illness, and what I learned here was very helpful.

16. michellea says:

TO MCKAYLA: THANK YOU BOO! LOLOLOL

17. mckayla says:

yo butt makes me so HORNY

18. michellea says:

I LIKE BIG BUTTS AND I CANNOT LIE, YOU OTHER BROTHERS CANT DENY WHEN A GIRL WALKS IN WITH AN ITTY BITTY WAIST AND COMES AROUND YOUR WAY, YOU SPRUNG. OH BABY I WANNA GET WITH YA AND TAKE YO PICTURE.

19. mckayla says:

SUCK MY 12 INCH DICK NIGGA

20. lindsey says:

mckayla is a stupid hoe

21. mckayla says:

WHO DA FUCK IS LINDSEY! BITCH

22. lindsey says:

lindsey you stupid

23. mckayla says:

HEYYYYY I SEE YOU READING THIS

24. mckayla says:

BUBBLE BUTT BUBBLE BUTT BUBBLE BUTT SHANNON ATE ME LOLOLOLOLOLOL

25. joey says:

hi, what up yeah i know wait am i on something different this is not sent to you